Coverage: Our Partners in Eye Care
If you reside in Alberta, the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan will cover any examinations by an ophthalmologist as well as routine, medically required optometrist checkups for those under 19 as well as anyone over 65.
What Is Covered?
Full coverage is available for visits to the eye doctor deemed to be medically necessary; some common examples include:
- Eye infections, abrasions
- Suspected conditions like pink eye
- Severe pain or sudden vision loss
- Instances where an object within the eye needs to be assessed and/or removed
- Retinal exams and diagnostic imaging for diabetics
- Appointments concerning chronic eye diseases such as glaucoma and uveitis
- Pre-and post-operative surgical care
**Please note: Scheduled visits for getting eyeglass prescriptions or contact lens fittings are not covered for individuals between the ages of 19 and 64.
We work with Alberta Health Care, Alberta Works, AISH and social services to ensure that you receive the treatment you need. Our clinic also deals with all the major insurance providers to ensure that claims are expedited in a timely and efficient manner.
If you have any questions regarding coverage, please contact our staff prior to your next appointment
We provide Direct Billing to the following:
Alberta Health Care
AISH and Social Services
Alberta Human Services (now called Community and Social Services and Children’s Services)